Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Motivation

I stay at home with my children, day in and day out.  I mean, we go places together, but I don't work outside the home.  Not right now anyway.  The house is always messy. I don't need to tell you. You and I have both read all the articles on HuffPost Parents about how this is Normal and OK.  And it totally is.  And even though I have literally, physically created two human beings and am daily creating their worldview, at the end of the day, I feel like I haven't produced much.  I haven't even cleaned up much. 

Also, I love to read.  Love it. I am a consumer of books. I just eat them up.  I shirk all responsibility when I am in the middle of a good book.  You don't even want to see my house when I am re-reading the entire Anne of Green Gables series for the umpteenth time.  But after a while, I kind of start to feel like a loser.  I mean, there are people my age of who written and published books. Lots of books. And I just read them.  

Then there is the fact that I love to share with others what I've read about.  Whether it's a novel or a magazine article or a spiritual book or a cookbook, I am excited to share what I've read, but 9 times out of ten the fact that I have mommy brain and am constantly keeping tabs on my two children prevents me from having any sort of coherent thought when I am amongst friends, whether at the playground, the dinner table or church.  

Therefore, this is my attempt to synthesize what I am reading and share it with others. I have been contemplating such a blog for some time now and then this 31 days thing happened- so that is my final incentive.  The straw that broke the camel's back. The kick in the pants.  Here we go.  

1 comment:

  1. Thought you might enjoy this - http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/16/writers-year-off-publishing

    ReplyDelete